Saturday 19 September 2015

The turmeric project

I have to say this could be the proudest achievement for me. A friend had been posting articles on growing vegetables from leftover kitchen scraps and I've tried a few such as rooting spring onions and various salad leaves to some success. The one ingredient which is virtually impossible to find here is turmeric leaves. Fresh turmeric roots can be bought from the Asian shops but never the leaves. I have friends who actually hand carried the leaves from home (via a 12-14 hour flight) and freeze them for use throughout the year. So when someone said to me, why don't you try to grow the turmeric from the roots bought in the Asian shop it was light bulb moment. Could it really be that easy?? So I tried it and to my delight, out of the 3 pieces of root, two of them sprouted!! So now it's lovingly looked after, awaiting the day the plants get established enough for me to start plucking the leaves for consumption....hmmmm, can't wait to make authentic beef rendang which has always been missing that one ingredient!

The moment that had me jumping for joy,
Getting more exciting after potting!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment