Monday 5 August 2013

Of bees and butterflies

In recent years, there's been concern that the bees are dying in the UK. Since we've moved in, we do see some bees during the summer season but not in large numbers. This year, coincidently when I decided to sort out my garden scheme and get more flowers in, we have had quite a large number of bees turn up. I'm just happy to see them and if my growing more flowers helps them keep up their population up then I'm glad to have helped.

As for the butterflies, I get quite a lot of cabbage white, though pretty, they are not welcomed as their eggs turn into caterpillars of the variety partial to broccoli and cabbages both of which I grow. Since these veges are meant for consumption, I was not going to spray any insecticide on them and have to resort to squishing the eggs sacs and even caterpillars by hand...not a pleasant feeling! This year however, I've not seen any cabbage white (maybe because I've not grown any cabbages) but instead got another variety of butterflies which looked real pretty and best of all they only like my inedible plants and therefore they too are more than welcome to enjoy my garden.

 

 

 

 

 

How many bees and butterflies can you see here?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment